Sunday, September 20, 2015

Ivan Lins and Pen Names

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I love Brazilian music. I was listening to a CD from Ivan Lins the other day and, after hearing Lins sing in Portuguese and English, I feel that his singing voice is much more passionate in his native language. I enjoy listening to him sing regardless of the language, but he just seems to much more expressive when singing in Portuguese. There's a song he does in Portuguese and English that has the English title "Who's In Love Here?" and the Portuguese version is so superior to the English one.

In other news, I posted a question to a writing forum I'm a member of and asked about the use of pen names. (Do you use one? If so, why, if not, why not?) The whole Kentucky Kim Davis thing has got me thinking about pen names a lot although I doubt I'll use one myself because my name IS Kim Davis and it has been Kim Davis since I was born, and, unlike Kentucky Kim whose real name is Kimberly, I am NOT a Kimberly. (If we really want to be technical, Kentucky Kim's name should be Kimberly Jean Bailey Wallace Davis McIntyre Davis.) Kentucky Kim is so busy trying to fight the courts on her behalf, I'm wondering if I can sue her for using MY name and potentially damaging my reputation and causing me to lose readers with her homophobic behavior. My sister thinks I'm blowing the whole Kentucky Kim thing out of proportion, but that's easy for her to say because her name isn't Kim Davis and she doesn't write gay romance books.

No comments:

Post a Comment