Monday, October 30, 2017

We Need to Talk About Kevin

I can't believe I had a back and forth email argument with a coworker over Kevin Spacey this morning. My coworker actually said he felt sorry for Spacey after Anthony Rapp revealed that Spacey had come on to him when he was 14 years old. And why, exactly, was my coworker feeling sorry for Spacey? Because he dislikes Rapp. Seriously. He also complained about the "closeted" gay community slamming Spacey unfairly. Huh??? I told my coworker that his feelings about Rapp were irrelevant. The fact that a grown man came onto a 14-year-old is the issue here. Two other coworkers said that they were surprised to hear that Spacey's gay. Seriously. Where have these people been living? Under a rock??? But back to the matter at hand. Spacey's statement about Rapp was ridiculous. He basically said if I was inappropriate with Rapp, it was because I was drunk and my behavior was wrong, but I'm gay, so there's that. Say what now?? The fact that he put his "coming out" statement in with his apology is pathetic. It feeds into the stereotype that gay men are all perverts chasing after young boys. He did the gay community a terrible disservice and, as a gay man, you'd think he would know this. Is he that self-loathing?? Maybe he is. Ugh, just ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment