Friday, October 27, 2017

Shar-day

I read an article on the NY Magazine site this week that ranked all of Sade's songs in order from best to worst. What surprised me was that they included a song she did in the film Absolute Beginners called "Killer Blow." I love that song and kudos to the author for including that one (even if it was near the bottom of the list)! I used to have the soundtrack to Absolute Beginners on vinyl. The movie isn't great, but there's some great music in it. But back to the Sade list. I disagreed a lot with the writer's rankings. For example, this guy put great songs like "Maureen" and "War of the Hearts" and "Mr. Wrong" at the bottom while putting popular songs like "The Sweetest Taboo" and "No Ordinary Love" in the top ten. This tells me that the writer, Frank Guan, is not a true Sade fan. He fails to recognize the brilliance of lesser-known Sade tracks like "Jezebel" or even "Punch Drunk" a song she doesn't even sing on! I've been a Sade fan from way back when. I had Diamond Life on vinyl when the record company stuck a sticker on the front that told Americans to pronounce her name as Shar-day. I remember this. So I take my Sade music very seriously. I don't just fawn over the radio hits. I dig deeper. I will agree with Guan that "Keep Looking" is worthy of being in the top ten. I probably would have put in the number one spot. It's a great song. The beat, the lyrics, the voice, the vibe: they're all working on that track. People who don't like Sade ain't my kind of people!

No comments:

Post a Comment