Sunday, October 8, 2017

Movies

I just watched an indie movie called They Look Like People and now I'm wondering WTF was that? The movie revolves around two hipster friends, Christian and Wyatt, in New York who, apparently, haven't seen in each other in some time but are reunited when one shows up on the other's doorstep. The visiting friend, Wyatt, is convinced that some people aren't really people but monsters. It kind of reminded me of the film They Live only without any real action, believable dialogue, or a decent plot. I don't know why I sat through this movie, but I did. What amazed me was that I don't believe I saw one black or Latino person in the movie even though it took place in New York and, at one point, the two main characters were riding the A train to Brooklyn (toward the Rockaways). The A train...with no black folks. Okay. But I digress. The movie goes on and on with rambling, hipster-like conversations between the two bros and the audience is left to wonder if Wyatt, the bearded hipster, is crazy or not. And, by the end, I wondered if I was crazy for sitting through an hour and a half of this nonsense. Moving on.

Apparently a third Sex and the City movie isn't happening because Kim Cattrall isn't interested in doing it. More power to her. As someone who was a fan of the show, I saw the first movie and hated it. I didn't even bother seeing the second. This franchise needs to die already. How many decades are they going to try and stretch this series out?? It was a really good show, but it's time to put it to bed. Enough already.

And finally the new Blade Runner movie isn't doing well at the box office. Apparently, it's not drawing the young audience the backers expected. The original Blade Runner came out in the 1980s and they're just now doing a sequel in 2017? Okay. The kids of today aren't familiar with the original film. Hell, I saw it in the 1980s and I'd have to go back and watch it again because I don't remember what happened. Also I wish these Hollywood power players would stop putting Ryan Gosling in a movie and expecting young people to show up. When is the last time Gosling was a real box office draw? I like Gosling, but I don't think he's a great actor nor do I think he's a box office draw. He hasn't reached Jake Gyllenhaal status yet (that guy is box office poison), but he's getting close. How many chances are guys like Gosling going to get at being a box office success? It's time for Hollywood to throw the towel in for both of these guys. They just can't bring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment