Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Don't Take My Straws!

I read an article today on the Gothamist website that linked to a story in the Washington Post about a movement to stop people from using plastic straws because they're not recyclable and sea creatures get injured from them when they're trashed. Now, I am a fan and supporter of sea turtles and I don't want to see them injured by having a straw up their nose, but I also don't want my straws to be taken away. How about making straws out of paper or some other recyclable material instead. As someone who uses straws religiously (like in my own home), I'm not on board with removing them from my life. Hell, I've already been forced to bring my own bag to the local stores because they either charge you for a bag (hello, Chicago) or berate you for not bringing your own bag (hello, Evanston). Now I can't even sip my beverage through a straw if I choose? Oy! Stop the madness. As someone who often spills her drink on herself (I'm clumsy), I need a straw to move cold beverages safely from my cup to my mouth. (No, I don't use a straw for hot drinks.) I also feel like it's more sanitary when you're in a restaurant with cups that require washing. (Yes, I know washable coffee cups don't usually come with a straw, but I'm willing to put up with that.)

RIP, Robert Guillaume.

No comments:

Post a Comment