Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Uncomfortable Reading

I've been reading about some schools in Mississippi moving to ban eighth graders from reading To Kill a Mockingbird because the language in the books makes some students (and staff, I assume) "uncomfortable." Really? Reading books like To Kill a Mockingbird and The Catcher in the Rye are just part of the drill when you're in public school, right? I certainly had to suffer through books I didn't care to read like Huckleberry Finn when I was in school. Why should the kids today get a break? I'm against banning books even if the language in some might be "uncomfortable." No, I'm not crazy about reading books where people are denigrated like in Huck Finn and To Kill a Mockingbird, but these books reflect a time in American society that shouldn't be brushed under the rug. Kids today need to understand how literature has evolved from stuff like Huck Finn to I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, etc. They shouldn't be sheltered from "uncomfortable" language. They need to learn from that language and have a dialogue about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment