Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Airbnb? Not for Me!

I read a story about a guy who rented an apartment for a month via Airbnb and hated it because it didn't live up to his standards, so he was fighting to get his money back. Every time I read a story about someone's bad Airbnb experience, I shake my head and wonder how people can go to a stranger's house and stay there. I'm all for independent driving services like Uber, but I draw the line at Airbnb. I'd rather stay at a hotel or a real BNB instead of shaking up in someone's apartment or house. At least at a decent hotel, there are standards of cleanliness that are usually adhered to. When you bunk down in someone's house, how do you know when the place was cleaned? Yes, hotels can be dirty also, but nicer hotels do have a housekeeping staff who clean the rooms daily and they wouldn't stay in business for long if they didn't. Another reason I'm anti-Airbnb is because folks have a license to discriminate against you. At least at a hotel, you have some legal protections. People are finding out the hard way that Airbnb hosts can deny you accommodations because they don't like the way you look or the sound of your name. I think the whiz kids who create services like Airbnb and Uber don't factor human emotions into their business models. Everyone isn't down with anyone coming into their home and everyone doesn't treat everyone else equally.

When I was younger, I probably would have been willing to bunk down in less than stellar accommodations, but not now. I'd gladly pay more to have a nice, clean place to stay when I'm out of town. I don't want to sleep on someone's grungy futon. I'd rather eat McDonald's every day on vacation to save money rather than scrimp on my hotel accommodations.

In totally unrelated news, I really do wonder if Anthony Weiner enjoys humiliating his wife.Maybe he really hates her or something. I don't know. I fail to believe his online proclivities are strictly sexual.

No comments:

Post a Comment