Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Late Night Laughs

I read that Comedy Central is giving the boot to Larry Wilmore's show. I can't say I'm surprised. His show never really was a big ratings draw when he took over Colbert's time slot. I can't say I watched it but then I had stopped watching The Colbert Report before it went off the air also. I like Larry and I'm sure he'll manage to keep himself busy with other projects. I'm wondering when Trevor Noah will be heading out the door. If you read my blog, you'll know that I'm no fan of Noah. I think hiring him to be the Daily Show host after Jon Stewart left was a mistake. I also think Comedy Central relied too much on Stewart and Colbert and when those two left, they didn't really have a Plan B and now that lack of planning is coming back to bite the network in the ass. I don't normally watch any of the late night comedians because I have day job and I have to go to sleep, but I catch the hot clips via the internet. Colbert is struggling now against the Jimmys (Kimmel and Fallon). I can't say I've watched his show much either. The few episodes I have seen didn't exactly thrill me. I like Colbert, but I don't think he's the kind of guy to sit and schmooze with movie stars like Kimmel and Fallon or even Corden. He's too cerebral for that. Seth Meyers is a guy who seems to be able to walk that line and be both smart and entertaining no matter who his guest is. Colbert isn't able to hide his disdain for having to talk with people he doesn't really care for. CBS will probably cut him loose soon also and put Corden in his spot because Corden is jolly and he has cute skits that make people laugh and get a lot of hits on the internet. The late night comedy business is cutthroat!

No comments:

Post a Comment