Wednesday, August 24, 2016

A to Z

Over the weekend, I enjoyed reading entries on a website that gives you an A to Z dictionary of words used in various Steely Dan/Donald Fagen/Walter Becker songs. It's called The Steely Dan Dictionary (http://steelydandictionary.com/) and it's great. Have you ever wondered, as I did, who Little Eva and Dr. Wu are/were? The Steely Dan Dictionary can answer these questions. The site also gives you the song, album, and lyric where the dictionary term is mentioned. Although I love Steely Dan, I often have no idea what their songs are about. Some, like "Hey Nineteen" are obvious, but others are just downright confusing. You need not only a dictionary but some interpretation would help also. I was listening to "Pixeleen" recently (another great Dan song) and I could't figure out half of the lyrics until I went online and Googled the song. 

In other music news (because, for some reason, I'm in a musical mood this week), I was listening to Journey's Greatest Hits this morning and "Only the Young" was on. I love this song, especially when Steve Perry sings, "Only the strong..." I can almost forgive him for that "born and raised in South Detroit" line in "Don't Stop Believin'"...almost. There is no South Detroit, Steve! I read an article in New York Magazine a while back when he was asked about that line and he pretty much said he liked the way it sounded, so he used it. He's aware (at least he is now) that there's no South Detroit. There's a Southwest Detroit, but no South Detroit. Detroiters like myself groan at that line because we know it's ridiculous, but that's okay. We still love you, Steve! We're willing to forgive you for that faux pas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment