Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Out of Print

After reading an excerpt from a biography of the author John Horne Burns in the New York Times Sunday magazine a few weeks ago, I became determined to read the author's three published books.  Unfortunately, only one of them (The Gallery) is still in print.  The third book (A Cry of Children) is out of print, but I was able to snag a copy from the Brooklyn Public Library and I'm currently reading it.  The second book, Lucifer with a Book, is the problem child.  I can't seem to get my hands on a copy.  It's not available at the Brooklyn or New York public libraries, I can't seem to find copies available for sale on eBay or Amazon or at the Strand bookstore.  There are a few copies floating around at college libraries, but they're hard to get a hold of.  I sent a message to HarperCollins (whose Avon Books imprint originally published Lucifer back in the 1950s) to find out if they have any plans to republish this book, but so far, no response.  I understand books go out of print, but once there's renewed interest in a title or author, publishers who hold the copyright should really get on the stick and republish these works.  I guess publishers are too busy looking for the next Twilight series or Fifty Shades of Grey to worry about things like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment