Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Camping

I was e-mailing with someone today and she told me that she and her family had gone camping over the July 4th weekend.  I told her she was a brave person because if I went camping, I'd be freaked out waiting for Sasquatch to come out of the woods and maul me.  This e-mail conversation led me to wonder why black people don't generally go camping.  I know why this black person doesn't go camping, but I also know I'm not alone in my anti-camping bias.  I have never had the desire to sleep outdoors.  Camping in a wooded area or a national park (via a tent or a camper) just doesn't seem like a lot of fun to me.  I'm all for enjoying nature, but going to sleep in the middle of it is a no-no for me.  Too many critters.  Too much of the unknown.  Too few ways to escape Sasquatch, the Mothman, or the Chupacabra if one (or more) should happen to come up on you in the night.  At least at the Hilton, Sheraton, or La Quinta I've got a fighting chance for survival (along with cable TV).  I'm just a city kid.  I enjoy sleeping in a bed and watching television and having snacks nearby and cool drinks in the fridge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment