Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Jungle Boogie

I was listening to Kool & the Gang's song "Jungle Boogie" this morning on the way to work. "Jungle Boogie" is such a great song but it's one that probably wouldn't see the light of day if it came out now. A song by and/or for black folks with "jungle" in the title is a song that wouldn't get any airplay nowadays. The same goes for The Time's "Jungle Love." Yeah...no. The climate is totally different now and songs like these would be criticized as racially insensitive. There's a line in the Steely Dan song "Babylon Sisters" that says, "Turn that jungle music down. Just until we're out of town." Does jungle music equal black music? I'll assume it does. Okay, but "Babylon Sisters" is still a great song. I remember when I worked years ago in Philadelphia and our head honcho made a comment about avoiding obscure medical disorders to cover in our the books we published because, I guess, there wasn't enough of an audience to care. But she didn't describe these rare disorders as rare disorders, she described them as being "out of the jungle." I remember giving her the side eye for that. (She was British, so maybe that had something to do with her use of this phrase. Then again, maybe not!) In my old age, I just can't get my panties in a bunch about every little thing. And I'll continue enjoying "Jungle Boogie."

No comments:

Post a Comment