Saturday, November 19, 2016

Weekly Wrap-Up

I read this morning that Sharon Jones died. This year certainly has been terrible for a variety of reasons (cough, Trump, cough), but it's been particularly awful when you look at the number of people who have died too early (Prince, Gwen Ifill, Gene Wilder, just to name a few).

I saw Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings perform in Prospect Park back in the days when I was living in Brooklyn. I walked over from my apartment to see the show and enjoyed it. I was also surprised to see so many white folks in the audience (although I shouldn't have been). Sharon had a huge white following and it's a shame more black folks didn't embrace her because she performed straight-up soul music. Anyway, I knew she'd been ill, but it was still a shock to read this morning that she'd passed away. RIP, Sharon.

In other news, I read that Mike Pence went to see Hamilton on Broadway last night and the audience booed him. Ha! I hope he wasn't expecting to be received with open arms. Pence, a guy who encouraged Indiana businesses to be allowed to openly discriminate against gay folks in Indiana and who favors gay conversion therapy actually had the gall to go to a Broadway show filled with gay folks and people of color and sit his bigoted behind in a seat. Ugh. I'm glad he got booed.

Temps dropped dramatically here in the Chicago area overnight and we went from having temperatures in the 60s and 70s a few days ago to waking up this morning to see snow flurries flying through the air. Winter is coming, my friends. Winter is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment