Monday, November 7, 2016

Moonlight and, Hey, I Voted!

I saw the really compelling movie Moonlight over the weekend. It's a hard film to watch mainly because of the sheer suffering the main character, Chiron, goes through, but it does seem to end on a positive note. It's so refreshing to see a film that goes outside of the box on black people. Dealing with homosexuality alone in the black community is something you don't see often on film, particularly a big-studio independent film. It's a quiet movie, but it says a lot with its silences. There's a scene near the end of the film where the song "Hello, Stranger" is played and I felt verklempt while I watched it. Oy! See it if you haven't already.

In other news, I also voted over the weekend. One of the few good things Illinois has going for it is early voting, so I took advantage this year to avoid the long lines tomorrow. I've done my civic duty. Get out and vote, folks! This is democracy in action!


No comments:

Post a Comment