Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The Post Office...Again

I hate going to the post office for anything. The service is usually slow and poor and I frequently leave thinking No wonder this place is getting its ass kicked by companies like Fed Ex and UPS. I went to the post office today to mail a small, postage-paid package. The package couldn't fit in a mail slot designated for letters, so I planned to drop it in one of the larger slots reserved for packages. Unfortunately, all of the larger slots at my local post office were sealed shut. Why, I don't know. Maybe it's a security issue. Finally, a postal employee told me to just leave my package at one of the unmanned windows. I left the package with a stack of others and I hope it makes it to its final destination, but I worried that anyone could have picked any of those packages up and just walked out the door. No one was manning the window where the packages were stacked. I went home and complained about this poor service and a postal employee left a message for me and suggested that I stand in line and see a teller at the window if I want to drop off a package that won't fit in the mail slot. Say what now? Why should I stand in a long-assed post office line to drop off a package that already has a postage sticker affixed to it? What sense does that make? It would make sense if the post office had more than one or two windows open at a given time. (My local post office does not.) Inefficiency, thy name is the United States Postal Service. I have several family members who are either current postal employees or retired postal employees and I know a postal job is a good one that has served my family well. But the service at many locations is just a mess so much of the time. I wish I didn't have to deal with them at all, but I do from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment