Saturday, November 26, 2016

Turkey Day Travels

I'm back from a brief visit to my hometown of Detroit for the Thanksgiving holiday and I had a great time seeing family in and around the city. Once I left Michigan (presumably for good) back in 2002, I said I wouldn't go back there to live again. However, the last two times I've been there this year, I've started to think that maybe I could go back if the right opportunity presented itself. I hate my current home state of Illinois. I like Evanston, where I live, but I hate the state of Illinois and its janky government members who can't seem to pass a state budget. This is the most dysfunctional state I've ever lived in. Between the corruption, the growing Chicago murder rate, and the general failure of the state legislature and the governor, I'm just about ready to throw in the towel here. Maybe a return to Michigan is the way to go. I'm seriously thinking about it. The housing would certainly be cheaper. On the other hand, I've been there and done that with metro Detroit. Maybe Michigan is better being a place that I enjoy visiting, but can't see myself living in again (like New York). As Lou Rawls said, "You can't go home no more."


No comments:

Post a Comment