Sunday, August 25, 2013

Masseur vs. Masseuse

I had my yearly hot stone massage yesterday (that I wish I could have more often) and a friend and I were discussing whether to have a man or a woman give you a massage.  My friend said she couldn't imagine having a man give her a massage because it would be too weird to have a man she didn't know touching her like that.  I, on the other hand, don't feel the same way.  I've had massages from men and women (well, one man) and had no issues with either.  However, the masseur I had was so unappealing to me that his lack of attractiveness probably helped ease any issues I might have had.  If he had been smoking hot, I might have felt uncomfortable with the whole thing.  When I booked that particular appointment a few years ago, he was the only person available.  I don't think I could ever be a masseuse.  I don't have what it takes to touch strangers in such an intimate way.  I don't even like folks brushing up against me on the subway.  I can only imagine what masseuses encounter, particularly with male customers.  I'm sure some men wouldn't feel comfortable having another man give them a massage and prefer a woman.  And if, during the course of the massage, they become aroused, what then?  I'm sure it's a natural reaction that the masseuses just deal with professionally, but what if some guy expects more than the services offered?  How do you deal with that?  The next time I'm at the spa, I'll see if I can get up the nerve to actually ask the masseuse (or masseur) how these kinds of delicate situations are handled.  I'd really like to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment