Wednesday, July 6, 2016

A Listening Ear

Sometimes I think maybe I have the kind of face that makes people talk to me (whether I want to hear what they have to say or not). I remember when I lived in New Jersey, I had a rental car from Enterprise because my car was in the shop or something. Anyway, an Enterprise employee gave me a ride home after I dropped the rental off and during the drive back to my apartment, he told me about his second job as a drag performer. I don't even know how the conversation started, but I learned a lot about the driver's second career. I doubt he shared that information with everyone he gave a ride to, but maybe he did. Tonight I went to get my hair cut and my usual stylist wasn't able to make it, so I had my hair done by another stylist in the shop. She proceeded to tell me about problems in her life and I tried to be a sympathetic ear. I could offer her no real advice for the problems she's going through (problems with her 14-year-old son, problems with herself), but she thanked me for listening. Then, on the way out of the shop, I was stopped by a guy who was waiting for his wife/girlfriend/whatever who was having her hair done. This guy wanted to tell me all about the benefits of detoxifying tea and how many overweight people need to lose weight or they'll be taking a dirt nap by age 76. (His words, not mine.) When I lived in New York, people often stopped me to ask for directions I guess because I appeared to look like I knew where I was going. (A friend also told me it was because I wear glasses and people thought I looked smart and non-threatening.) Now, I don't get stopped for directions, but I seem to have turned into the Listening Lady. No, I probably can't help you with your problems, but I can listen to them. And, if they're good, maybe I'll use the material in one of my books! (Just kidding. Not really.)

No comments:

Post a Comment