Sunday, February 21, 2016

So...It Was the Goat?

I went to see The Witch this weekend. I'd been waiting to see this movie ever since I saw a trailer for it last year. It looked sufficiently creepy and scary. Unfortunately, the parts shown in the trailer were about the best parts of the movie. Read no further if you haven't seen the movie and want to see it. After seeing the movie earlier today, all I can say is that I'm glad I went to the early show and only paid $6 because (A) I was falling asleep during the movie, (B) I had unanswered questions at the end (like what happened to the twins), and (C) the goat did it. Seriously...the goat. The goat, named, of course, Black Pete because he was a black goat, represented the devil and he brought all of the death and weirdness to this pilgrim family. A goat. Okay. Aside from that, I do think the movie was beautifully shot. Everything was just gray and depressing. I don't think I saw the sun shine once in this movie but the grayness went along with the sadness of the family. I also thought the acting was very good. On the whole though, it just didn't work for me.

Before the movie started, I saw trailers for other movies and there wasn't one I wanted to see. The trailer that annoyed me the most was one featuring Jake Gyllenhaal called Demolition about a man (Jake) who loses his wife in an auto accident and has to learn to live again through the help of a lovely blonde customer service rep (Naomi Watts) who's also a single mom. Oh, and Jake also has to destroy the lovely home he and his wife shared (like, physically destroy it, hence the title: Demolition) in order to become whole again. Really? Yes, really. God, Hollywood is in serious trouble if this is the kind of stuff that gets the green light out there. And, I've said it before but it bears saying again, why do people keep trying to make Gyllenhaal happen? He's not particularly talented nor is he even good looking, yet he keeps getting one chance after another to try and be the next big thing. How many movies has he been in that tanked? Southpaw, Nightcrawler, Prisoners, Love & Other Drugs, The Prince of Persia, and the list goes on. Enough already with this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment