Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Overrated

I just heard Sam Smith's song "Stay With Me" (otherwise known as "Won't Back Down" previously done by Tom Petty) and I thought, Sam is overrated. He can sing, but his voice is underwhelming to me. I read about another white British soul singer, Jessie J, who expressed disappointment that she wasn't recognized as a great singer like Mariah or Aretha because (in her mind) she was on par with these divas. When I read this, my first thought was, Who's Jessie J? Now, granted, I'm not exactly up to speed on a lot of current performers out there, but I think I would have heard of someone who sang on a Celine/Mariah/Aretha/Patty level. 

In other music-related news, I was watching Cabaret on TV last night and I can't believe I've never seen it on stage. Liza and Joel, who definitely are not overrated, were excellent in the film. I wonder if the play is equally as entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment