Monday, August 7, 2017

Think for Yourself

I read an article on New York Magazine's website today about a blogger who trashed a YA book over perceived racism and bigotry in the book and, as a result, many others have trashed the book also. The book hasn't even come out yet, I should add. I'm all for people giving their two cents on a book. You like what you like, you don't like what you don't like. However, I have a problem with people writing off a book they haven't even read yet. I'm not sure if the blogger in question got an advance copy or what, but I don't understand how the kids (I assume most are kids) who read the blogger's review decided to trash the book based on the views of one person alone. Think for yourself, kids! Don't let some blogger tell you what to read or not to read. Read what you want and form your own opinions! It's so unfortunate that these kids would rather read a blogger's views and take those to heart rather than reading the material in question and deciding for themselves whether they like the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment