Sunday, May 1, 2016

Teena Marie

I was listening to Teena Marie's greatest hits this weekend and hearing her voice made me sad that, yet again, another great singer died before her time. She was so talented and never, in my opinion, got the fame she deserved. Her big Top 40 hit, "Lovergirl," is hardly her best work, in my opinion. "It Must Be Magic," "Young Love," and "I Need Your Lovin'" are far superior works. In my younger years, I enjoyed listening to Portuguese Love by Teena Marie, but now I can barely stand to hear it. It's one of those songs that I just heard one too many times. Not that it isn't a great song, but it was overplayed in my lifetime, so I had to put it on the shelf.

 In other music-related news, I missed the SNL special of Prince performances over the years when it initially aired, but I watched the show via On Demand over the weekend and really enjoyed it. Most of the songs Prince performed on SNL were new to me (with the exception of "Party Up" and "Let's Go Crazy"), but they were still great. I loved watching and hearing his performance of "Fury." It was really great and the backup singers/dancers were great also.

No comments:

Post a Comment