Saturday, May 7, 2016

Chicago (the soundtrack, not the city)

I was listening to the Chicago soundtrack this week (the 1996 Broadway recording, not the movie soundtrack). It really has some great songs. James Naughton as Billy Flynn is simply wonderful. Bebe Neuwirth as Velma is great also. I can't say I enjoy Ann Reinking as Roxie Hart. Her voice grates on me. (How did someone supposedly born in Mississippi and raised in Chicago end up with a Brooklyn accent???) I saw Chicago years ago in Detroit with Robert Urich in the role of Billy Flynn and, while Urich looked great, he sounded awful. The poor man couldn't sing worth a damn, but the ladies in the audience didn't care because he was Robert Urich. Dan Tanna. Spenser: For Hire. I saw the movie version of Chicago also and I liked it, but Richard Gere's singing was awful also. Chicago is still playing on Broadway, I believe. I used to keep up with the revolving cast. I remember one time Usher was cast as Billy Flynn. Usher. No offense against Usher. He's a great singer and his voice is not the problem, but at the time he was cast, I'm sure he was in his 20s. How is someone that young supposed to play seasoned defense attorney Billy Flynn?? In spite of his age, I'm sure he, like Robert Urich, looked great on stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment