Monday, March 7, 2016

Overpriced!

I went to McDonald's for breakfast recently and got a big breakfast and a small orange juice. These items cost me over $7. Seven dollars!!! I thought to cashier had made a mistake. "Did you charge me for the big breakfast with hotcakes?" I asked. "No," she answered. I couldn't figure out how my big breakfast, that cost about $4 ended up being more than $7 and then I realized: it's the orange juice! A small orange juice at McDonald's cost me more than $2...$2.35 to be exact. Huh? How is that possible? The orange juice cost more than half the price of the food! Is there an orange shortage in Florida? Has there been a crop freeze recently? Why does a small OJ cost more than $2?? That seems outrageous to me, yet I paid what I was charged and I drank that orange juice (and it was tasty). When I lived and worked in New York, I had my McDonald's breakfast down to a science and I figured out how I could have breakfast there for under $5. Forget those Egg McMuffin/McGriddle combos. They cost too much. I'd get the three hotcakes (no sausage) and a small decaf and the total would come out to under $5. That was the kind of breakfast I could afford. I guess I would have been paying close to $7 if I had chosen orange juice instead of coffee. I thought McDonald's was supposed to be an affordable food alternative. I guess it is if you drink coffee and/or soft drinks rather than orange juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment