Sunday, October 11, 2015

Disgraced and AHS: Hotel

I went to see the play Disgraced at the Goodman Theater yesterday and it was intense. It's the story of a Muslim attorney who's married to a white (blonde, of course) artist and things spiral quickly of control when the couple has another interracial couple (a black female attorney and her Jewish husband) over for dinner. It's an interesting look at relations between people of different ethnicities, religions, classes, and backgrounds. What I always find interesting about plays like Disgraced where you have a bunch of supposedly hip, urban, liberal types together (Clybourne Park is another example), is that when the PC niceness goes away, you get a glimpse at the "real" people here and you find out everyone isn't as liberal and PC as they like to believe (or want others to believe) that they are.

In other news, I watched American Horror Story: Hotel over the weekend since I missed the premiere Wednesday night and I thought it was largely a hot mess. At times it looked like a bad 1980s music video. Gaga and Bomer have no chemistry and Cheyenne Jackson seemed miscast. And the whole rape scene with the drug addict was awful. (And why wasn't there any blood after that? When Gaga and Bomer went to town on that couple they hooked up with, there was blood everywhere but no blood when a guy gets a drill bit up the behind? Maybe the sensors put the kibosh on that.) Ryan Murphy certainly has a "type" when it comes to the guys he casts in these shows. He likes the pretty boys. In any case, I'm not willing to bail on AHS: Hotel yet. I'm willing to give it another week or two before I decide if I'm in for the long haul.


No comments:

Post a Comment