Monday, October 5, 2015

ATM Fees

I was reading an article today about how ATM fees are just out of control. Someone commenting after the story asked why people even need to go to an ATM given the vast amounts of places that accept debit and credit cards for transactions. Someone quickly noted that cash must be used for certain transactions (drugs, paid Craigslist hookups, etc.). Yeah, I don't think the weed man or rent boys take plastic and/or Apple Pay. As someone who uses plastic for a variety of transactions, I also use cash for stuff, mainly stuff under $20. I don't believe in charging a drink from Starbucks. If I don't have $5 in my pocket for a venti black tea lemonade (sweetened), then I highly doubt I'd whip out a Visa to pay for it. My feeling is that if I started using plastic for every little thing (a drink, a sandwich, hand lotion, whatever), I think I'd lose track of what I was spending. ATM fees are out of control and I try my best not to use an ATM that will charge me a fee. I shouldn't have to pay to get my own money, right? But I guess I'm paying for the privilege of letting a bank that isn't MY bank give me access to my own money (or something like that). We just seem to get nickle and dimed at every turn. Paying for checked bags at the airport, paying to use the ATM of a bank that's not our own. First-world problems? Yes, but that doesn't mean they're not still problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment