Tuesday, September 20, 2016

New York State of Mind

Ever since I heard about the bombs in New York (and New Jersey), I've been reading articles and watching the news for updates. I figured the police would catch the suspect soon. Anyone who's been to New York, particularly Manhattan, knows that there are cameras everywhere. The chances of being off the grid there are nearly impossible. And 23rd Street between 6th and 7th Avenues is a very busy area. I used to frequent that area a lot when I lived there. There's a Trader Joe's nearby that I went to frequently and the F train stop was right there at the corner of 23rd and 6th, so I could hop on the train and go home. I was speaking with a coworker who's planning to retire soon and she asked if I was going to move back to New York. I told her I didn't think so. I no longer have a New York state of mind. Plus, living there is just too expensive and being on the grind there was terrible for me. I felt like I was on a hamster wheel pretty much every day I went to and from work. It was exhausting. I think the only way I'd go back to New York now is if I had enough money to get a decent place in Manhattan on the Upper West Side (sorry Brooklyn).

Although I live in Illinois now, I'm not really a fan of this state. It's got too many problems (violence in Chicago, an ineffective state government, etc.) so I don't see myself staying here for an extended period of time. But at least here I feel like I can eek out a living here and relax a little. Plus, I'm tired of moving. I've lived in a number of states (Michigan, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Illinois) and each move was not only expensive, but draining. I'm getting too old to pick up and move to another state. I'd like to say my next move will be my last, but I doubt that will be the case. I'll probably move again before I finally stay put and retire. Unfortunately, I'm running out of places to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment