Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Poor Door

I am fascinated with stories in the news about a high-rise apartment building in New York that has a separate entrance (the so-called "poor door") for residents who live in dedicated low-income units. This sounds like a terrible thing, right? Why should the low-income residents have to use an entrance different from the residents who have market rate apartments? This is segregation. It's also New York City where housing is ridiculously expensive. I think if I had the chance to snag a new construction apartment in a snazzy building in Manhattan and I had to go through a poor door to get to it, I'd walk through that poor door with my head held high. When you need a place to live and your income options are limited, sometimes you have to make some hard choices.

That being said, New York City real estate is ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment