Sunday, April 26, 2015

RIP William Price Fox

I was working my way through today's NY Times and came across an obituary for one of my former professors, William Price Fox. Fox taught a creative writing course I took during a disastrous two semester graduate school stint I slogged through at the University of South Carolina in the 1990s. (Nine months of my life that I'll never get back!) Anyway, Fox was quite a character at USC and he rarely failed to make us laugh with some off-color tale from his past. He even sent his young wife (who'd been one of his graduate students) to teach our class one day, something that truly annoyed not only me but other folks in the class because, hey, we hadn't paid good money (or gone into debt) to have this dude's wife play teacher for a day. I remember Fox talking about the band Lynryd Skynyrd and he kept pronouncing the band's name as Len-red Skin-red. And, even worse, was that no one (myself included) had the balls to correct him. We just let him go on about this great band Len-red Skin-red.

RIP, Professor Fox.

No comments:

Post a Comment