Saturday, April 11, 2015

Say It Ain't So!

This is one of those weeks I'll be glad to put in my rear view for a number of reasons, but a few things in particular stick out in my mind.

First, apparently Jon Hamm was a violet douchebag while he was in college who beat and tortured a fraternity pledge. That surprises me. Say it ain't so, Jon Hamm! Oh, it be so! I can't even see Hamm being a part of any Greek fraternity system, but clearly he was. I love the way people excuse his prior behavior as that of someone who was young (he was 20 at the time). Granted, someone who's 20 still has a lot of growing to do, but I would like to think that person still knows right from wrong. From what I've read, Hamm and his frat brothers really went to work on their victim and beat the hell out of this guy. We're not just talking about a few paddles on the ass. The victim filed charges against these guys and their fraternity was shut down. I'm sure Hamm has changed his ways. He's 44 now and, hopefully, knows better, but it's still a disappointment to hear that he participated in such a violent act against another person.

Second, the whole South Carolina shooting incident was yet another disappointing part of this week but I'm pretty certain this kind of thing happens more frequently than anyone wants to admit. When I heard the latest incident happened in South Carolina, I wasn't surprised. I lived there briefly years ago. The nine months I spent in South Carolina are nine months of my life that I'll never get back. The only good that came from my time there was that I was able to visit Charleston. It's a lovely city and I highly recommend a visit if you've never been there. As for the rest of the state? No comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment