Monday, June 13, 2016

Tragedy and the Tony Awards

I don't know what else to say about the shootings in Orlando other than that I continue to hope and pray the survivors are able to recover and that those who lost loved ones have support and love from those around them to help them get through such a terrible situation. Why some people just can't mind their own business and let grown folks live their own lives is just ridiculous to me. If you want to live in a country where the government rules your life with an iron fist, then you shouldn't be living in the United States. There are countries out there where you can live with a government that controls who you love, who you marry, what you eat, what you think, when you can come and go, etc. and I'm sure they'd be happy to take you if that's what you want.

Moving on to a more upbeat topic, I did see the Tony Awards last night (well, most of them anyway) and I largely enjoyed the show. I loved seeing Bebe Neuwirth come out and do a little bit of "All That Jazz" from Chicago and I enjoyed the opening number by James Corden. I didn't like the Spring Awakening number. "Mama Who Bore Me" is a great song that was ruined, I thought, by the woman singing on the Tony's last night. I was so worried about Audra McDonald when I watched a clip this morning (because I missed it last night) of her in a number from Shuffle Along. Audra, as I've mentioned in another blog post, is pregnant and she's not exactly a young woman. She shouldn't be hoofing like that! Watching her tap dancing made me nervous. It's time for her to leave Shuffle Along. Sit down, Audra! Take a bow! My sister is going to see Shuffle Along and Hamilton next week in NYC. Oy! That's a lotta Broadway! I hope she enjoys both. I passed on going to see Hamilton because, as I've blogged before, it's just not my thing. I'm glad to see Lin Manuel on top and a diverse Broadway cast, but history and hip hop just don't do it for me personally. (No offense Hamilton fans!) I would like to see Shuffle Along though. Maybe if I'm able to get back to NYC before the summer is out, I'll check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment