Monday, June 27, 2016

Conjuring and Compton

I saw two movies over the weekend: one at the theater and one on DVD.

My theater movie was The Conjuring 2. I saw the first Conjuring and thought it was okay, so I went to see the sequel. It was okay also. A little long, but pretty good. The plot was your typical demon possession/exorcism story line, but what I found interesting was the relationship between Ed and Lorraine Warren (played by Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga). Patrick and Vera make such an great on-screen couple and whenever they weren't in the movie, I found myself wishing they were. (Watching possessed British kids in run around a dirty row house got old after a while.) I'm still waiting for a scary movie that's truly scary. The last movie I saw that really scared me was The Ring. Yes, The Ring. Creepy. I saw the Japanese version, Ringu, also. The Japanese make some strange scary movies. Check out Audition if you're in the mood for that kind of thing.

My DVD movie was Straight Outta Compton. I didn't see this one when it was in the theaters, but I kept hearing it was good. Gangster rap music isn't my thing either, but I enjoyed the movie. It was a little too long and a sanitized version of the story of NWA, but a lot of the old-school music in the film was great. The story of how Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, and Easy E came together made for a pretty good movie. I thought some of the raps in the movie were hilarious, particularly Ice Cube's angry song "No Vaseline." Anyone who can rap about Kunta Kinte and then throw in a line that says "I got a whip for ya, Toby" gets kudos from me. Toby? Really? I'm sure that line went over the heads of kids who saw the movie and didn't get the whole Roots reference.

1 comment: