Monday, April 11, 2016

Delivery Dude

I saw a guy delivering for Jimmy John's sandwich chain today (it's sort of like a Subway for those who aren't familiar) and the guy was driving an Infiniti. Now, granted, it wasn't a new Infiniti, but it was an Infiniti nonetheless. Since when can delivery drivers afford luxury cars? And, yes, Infinities are luxury cars. No, they aren't in the same category as Audis and BMWs, but they're not Hondas either. They're entry-level luxury cars. But back to the Jimmy John's guy. He pulled up alongside me at a red light and turned up his music. Suddenly, the sounds of some weird electronic music filled the air. It wasn't even good electronic music. The driver, who was probably around 20 or so, looked like he was enjoying himself while I looked at him and wondered, "How is he driving an Infiniti???" Maybe he borrowed Mom or Dad's ride because his own beater was busted. Or maybe he just rolled like that. Maybe he was working three jobs to pay for that Infiniti.

Speaking of delivery drivers, I remember way back when I was in college a guy in one of my classes was talking about how much money he made delivering pizzas. He told us he was making $25,000 a year and that seemed like an incredible amount of money to me. (This was the late 80s, kids.) I just kept thinking, Wow. Twenty-five thousand dollars a year as a pizza delivery guy. I know I was making considerably less in one of my dead end jobs. I was probably working as a cashier at A&P at the time or shelving books at the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment