Sunday, August 17, 2014

Public Spaces

I'm not the kind of writer who can set up my laptop in a Starbucks and just write. I prefer to write in my own space rather than in a public space. However, I do, on occasion, go to the library to write because it seems to be quieter than a Starbucks or some other coffee house. So today I spent a few hours working on my current novel at the local public library and everything started out great. I found a nice cubicle to sit in by the window and I was good to go. Then, about an hour or so in, some woman sat on the other side of the cubicle wall from me. First, she was on her cell phone. She wasn't speaking in a loud voice, but still, it was annoying. Whatever. I had on headphones, so I was able to tune her out. Then, once she gets off the phone, she starts setting up her work station. I don't know what she had over there, but she seemed to having a hell of a time getting it all together. Okay. Whatever. Eventually, she settles down and starts writing or typing or something. Soon after that, the coughing starts. She coughed a lot. Perhaps she was or is a smoker. Maybe she had a cold. I don't know, but the she kept coughing and the joined cubicles shook every time she did. After about half an hour, I couldn't take it anymore, so I packed it in for the day. 


Public spaces are great when the public isn't annoying the hell out of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment