Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Writing Classes

I took a non-credit writing class a few years ago at NYU and largely enjoyed it. The class members were diverse in sex, age, and race (hey, our instructor was half Mexican!). The class provided me with a great opportunity to workshop my own writing, but also read the writing of others whose work was in progress. I keep flirting with the idea of taking a screenwriting class because I want to learn how to write a screenplay. I checked into an introductory screenwriting course at a local community college, but I was disappointed that the same woman was teaching every section of the class. Also, it didn't look like anyone had signed up for any of the four courses offered--a bad sign for a prospective student like myself. I wish writing classes had more diversity in terms of the instructors. Too often, I feel like the instructors for these workshop courses are basically the same: middle to upper class white women in their 30s who write literary fiction. No disrespect to these ladies, but is there a way to open the door and let a little more diversity into these writing courses? Can course administrators work a little harder to try and recruit more men, more people of color, and just more people who write in different genres? 

No comments:

Post a Comment