Thursday, August 21, 2014

Grow Up

As I've said in the past, I lurk on a few websites daily for celebrity gossip, etc. I also read many of the comments posted. Normally, I don't put a lot of stock in these comments. Some are funny, some are mean, some are offensive, and some don't make any sense to me at all, but I read one comment recently that really made me want to tell the writer to grow up. The writer, who posted that he was male, stated that he wanted to read gay-themed books, but not ones written by women.(He also didn't want to read any sci-fi, but I'm dealing with the gender issue.) Okay. I've heard this song before. Some gay men don't want to read gay romance (or any kind of gay-themed book) that's written by a woman. Some blacks don't want to read books about black people that are written by whites. Some women don't want to read books about women that are written by men. And the list goes on. To all of these folks, I would simply say, "Grow up!" I would never let the race or gender of an author dissuade me from reading a book. I'm interested in the story, not the author. Can women not write about men? Can men not write about women? Can blacks not write about blacks? These same people who have such rigid views about what they'll read are probably the first ones who would jump up and shout to the heavens if they were discriminated against because of their race, gender, or sexual orientation. So how can they justify practicing that exact same discrimination against someone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment