Saturday, September 28, 2013

Yikes!

I just read about delays on the F train last night. People were stuck for hours. All I can say is I'm glad it wasn't me. I take the F daily to and from work but managed to avoid this disaster. You never know when there will be trouble on the rails, but I have to say, since I've been living in New York, I haven't really had a major problem on the subways. The worst situation I was in was when the trains were shut down due to Hurricane/Super Storm Sandy last year. When there was no train service between Brooklyn and Manhattan, my commute was difficult, but not terrible. I feel particularly bad for the folks trying to commute into Grand Central via Metro North. I read the current fleet of diesel trains can only accommodate about 30% of the normal daily commuters. What are the other 70% supposed to do? Everyone doesn't have the option of working from home. What a mess. I really am surprised that this kind of thing doesn't happen more often honestly. Sometimes it seems like the infrastructure around here is held together with duct tape and Popsicle sticks. Repairs only seem to get made when something goes wrong. But when you have a transit system that never stops, it's hard to do routine maintenance without taking the entire line out of service and inconveniencing the public. It's a vicious circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment