Thursday, September 5, 2013

Thighland

I was talking with a manager at work and he mentioned a book printer in Thailand but he pronounced the country's name as Thigh-land, not Tie-land.  Uh, isn't the "h" silent in Thailand?  Is "Thigh-land" the mythical land of thighs?  At first I thought the manager just mispronounced the word, but when he kept saying "Thigh-land" over and over, I knew it wasn't a one-off.  This guy claims to have graduated from Cornell, yet he can't properly pronounce Thailand?  (And he's not a recent graduate either.  This guy is in his late 40s/early 50s!)  I kept wanting to correct him, but I couldn't bring myself to actually do it.  I hated when I mispronounced the word "proselytizing" and one of my co-workers corrected me.  I hated it, not because I was wrong, but because the guy who corrected me was constantly doing that kind of thing.  He claimed he was just being helpful, but he was downright annoying.  Still, I should have been glad for the correction so I wouldn't make the same mistake in the future.  I probably should have told the manager that he was not pronouncing Thailand correctly, but I didn't.  If the opportunity arises again, I hope I can rise to the challenge and help the man from making the same mistake again.

No comments:

Post a Comment