Sunday, October 2, 2016

Kim Cares

Rather than sitting around every weekend NOT writing (well, I am writing, just not as much as I should be), I decided to get out and do some local volunteer work via Chicago Cares. I had my first gig today serving dinner at a local church. I enjoyed the work, my fellow volunteers, and the people who came out to get a hot meal. There are a lot of people in need out there and those of us who can help should help in some way. Whether it's giving your time, your money, or your skills, there are ways to reach out. When I lived in New York, I did tutoring for non-native English speakers and I figured it was time to get out and help out in the Chicago area now that I live here. One really nice part of my volunteer assignment today was that the volunteers actually served the people who came for a meal. We brought the food to them. They didn't have to stand in line and wait with tray in hand to be served. These community members could sit and enjoy their dinner with dignity and also get a to-go container if they wanted one to take food home for themselves or a loved one.


No comments:

Post a Comment