Monday, November 9, 2015

Hobophobia

For some reason, I was thinking about the word "hobo" over the weekend and I wondered why we've stopped using it. People don't refer to the downtrodden as hobos anymore, do they? I did some Googling about the word "hobo" and found out that hobos, tramps, and bums are not the same. Hobos apparently work for a living. They ride the rails and go from place to place looking for work. Tramps only work when they have to and bums don't work at all. Interesting. I assumed they were all the same. The image of the hobo from the past is a guy with his meager belongings tided up in a bundle and hung from the end of a stick. I'm sure the modern hobo (if there are any still around) don't cart their belongings this way. In my internet research on the hobo, I came across the term "hobophobia" which is an irrational fear of the poor. That just sounds crazy. Does hobophobia create hoboists (those who discriminate against hobos)?

No comments:

Post a Comment