Friday, November 6, 2015

Friday, Friday, Friday

I took a vacation day from my "other" job to get some things done today--mainly finish the book I've been working on. (I'm almost there! Really!) In catching up with my online news, I read that new Daily Show host Trevor Noah had his appendix removed this week and was back to work after one day. When I had my appendix removed way back in the early 90s, I was down and out for a week. In fact, I was hospitalized for a week. There's no way I would have been in any position to go back to work after one day. Has medical science improved that much or is Trevor some kind of Superman? Speaking of Trevor, I can't really say I've been watching The Daily Show with any regularity since Jon Stewart left. Hell, I was barely watching before Jon left. However, in the few episodes that I've seen, Trevor just doesn't seem to be engaged. To me, he still seems like a tourist. He doesn't appear to have any kind of investment in America. He's just a guy working here on a visa waiting for the next gig to come along.

Even though I don't live in New York anymore, I still read Gothamist and NY Magazine's site to find out what's going on in the Big Apple. There's a feature on Gothamist called "Ask a Native New Yorker" that I read often and the guy who responds to questions is from Brooklyn. He often posts pictures of himself with his responses and they all come from his "private collection." How private is this collection if you're posting a new photo every week? I don't know if that "private collection" credit line is a joke or what. (I suspect it is.)

My publisher, JMS Books, encouraged me and other authors who publish with them to join Author Central via Amazon and I did this today. My site isn't totally set up yet, but it's getting there. I think it'll take about a week to get up and running. I should have done this a while ago, but I'm not exactly the best person when it comes to social media. (No Facebook, no Twitter, no Instagram--you get the picture.) However, I'm making small efforts to change this. My main obstacle is that I work a day job and it's hard for me to find time to devote to social media when I'm working, writing, reading, and living my life. But I will make an effort to keep the Author Central site up in addition to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment