Thursday, November 19, 2020

Szechuan Dumplings

This post isn't really about Szechuan dumplings. It's about Steely Dan singing about Szechuan dumplings. I read a Twitter feed called Good Steely Dan Takes and the feed shows various Steely Dan-related posts from people. One that stood out to me recently said that people like to shit on The Dan but praised them for creating songs that talk about things like sharing a meal of Szechuan dumplings with your cocaine dealer. 

Szechuan dumplings now that the deal has been done. I'm the one.

These lyrics come from the song "Glamour Profession" and, being the good Dan fan that I am, I immediately recognized what song the tweet was referring to. 

NY Times writer Brent Staples frequently tweets various Steely Dan/Donald Fagen lyrics such as "Won't you pour me a Cuban breeze, Gretchen?" (From "The Goodbye Look" from Fagen's solo album, The Nightfly.)

Steely Dan has song lyrics about getting take-out from Dean & DeLuca, drinking kashasha. Who else sings songs about stuff like that? No one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment