Friday, November 13, 2020

Big Mouth

I was supposed to have a root canal a few weeks ago but I freaked out at the dental office when they put a block in my mouth to hold it open during the hour-long procedure. So I'm trying again later today but this time with drugs! I don't normally have problems with dental procedures, but the block in my mouth was a bridge too far for me. The block combined with some clamp they put over the infected tooth just made me feel like I couldn't breathe and was about to have a panic attack. I'm determined to get through the procedure this time because I'm tired of chewing on one side of my mouth only. I have to get this done. Hopefully, the drugs will kick in and I'll take myself to another place mentally during the procedure so I can get through it. I have a big mouth, but the thought of holding it open for an hour is exhausting, so I know the dental block is needed. The things we go through for our teeth. 

I'm glad to be able to have dental care from my day job and growing up from my father's insurance. Many people don't have access to dental care and it shows. I recall reading somewhere that the comedian Tracy Morgan told comedian Tina Fey that he could tell she hadn't grown up poor when he saw her teeth. I didn't grow up wealthy, but my parents did have dental insurance! My poor sister had to wear braces and head-gear to correct her crooked teeth. Years and years of payments went out to cover all of that. Thankfully, I didn't suffer the same dental issues that my sister did.

No comments:

Post a Comment