Friday, November 27, 2020

Post-Thanksgiving Greetings

Well, another holiday has come and gone, but this Thanksgiving was quite different from the others I've had in my life. My sister and I normally travel to Michigan for Thanksgiving, but not this year. Due to Covid, we stayed home. It's all about survival now. I've read a lot of fretting about spending the holidays alone or not with the loved ones we normally spend them with and, while I'm sympathetic, I think we all need to do what we can to keep ourselves and others healthy and alive and if that means a solo or low-key Thanksgiving, then so be it. Better lonely than dead, folks. 

I've spent Thanksgiving and Christmas alone before. When I was in graduate school (and even after that) I often couldn't afford to travel for both Thanksgiving and Christmas, so one holiday had to be sacrificed. Also, I've lived in cities where I didn't have any close family members around or friends who'd take me in, so I spent the holiday by myself and I managed to get through it. Now I'm not the kind of person who needs to be around others 24/7, but it was still sad at times to be alone on the holidays. It's not something I enjoyed, but it was necessary due to my finances. I didn't want to start the new year with a ton of charges from airline tickets and other things just because I didn't want to be lonely. You do what you have to do to make it work.

I certainly hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment