Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Spicy Music

If you read my blog regularly, you'll know that I listen (and blog about) a wide variety of music and, if you read my books (and I hope you do), you'll get an idea of what I was listening to while I was writing that particular work. For example, in my new book Fluidity, I mention the Al Stewart song "Year of the Cat" a lot. (Side note: I really wanted to call the book "Year of the Cat" but I didn't because I'm not that crazy. But I digress.) While I like to think I have pretty good taste in music, I'll admit that my likes are often not in the mainstream. For example, I like some of the solo work from former Spice Girls Geri Halliwell (Ginger Spice) and Emma Bunton (Baby Spice).

For Geri, her song "Look at Me" is great. She can't sing worth a damn, but I love the music in the song and the video cracks me up. (Halliwell apparently can't dance either which makes the dance sequence at the end all the more entertaining.)

Emma Bunton does much better with her version of "Crickets Sing for Anna Maria" (and I've blogged about this before). I love her version of this song. It really is great to me. She also isn't the greatest singer, but she works with what she has. (She, like Geri, unfortunately, isn't much of a dancer either which you'll notice if you watch the video.) I'm working on a short story now and I'll probably end up working these Spice Girl tunes into it somehow just because I've been listening to them a lot lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment