Sunday, May 21, 2017

Looking...The Movie

I watched the final movie based on the canceled HBO series "Looking" this weekend and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. The series was a bit of a disappointment for me, but I did watch all of the episodes. Surprisingly, the part of the movie that interested me the most was Patrick's conversation with Kevin. Their relationship during the series made me roll my eyes many times, but I enjoyed seeing them talk and try to deconstruct what went down between them. That was good stuff. I hated seeing Richie go back to Patrick, but he seemed to be glutton for punishment. Going from Patrick to Brady was just exchanging one spoiled white guy for another, but the heart wants what it wants, I guess. One of the problems I had with "Looking" the series was that it focused too much on Patrick and he largely annoyed me with his whining and neurotic behavior. I enjoy watching Jonathan Groff as an actor, but his character on the show was insufferable. I was more interested in Dom and wished the show would have focused a little more on him. But, even with its flaws, the show wasn't the trainwreck the public made it out to be. I think too many people were expecting "Queer As Folk...the Sequel" and it just wasn't that kind of party. I commend HBO for taking a chance on a drama centering around gay men even if this particular one only lasted two seasons. I certainly hope they don't give up on LGBT-themed dramas. Once again, non-network TV is doing the heavy lifting while the networks focus on tired BS like "The Big Bang Theory" and "Modern Family."

No comments:

Post a Comment