Friday, May 26, 2017

That's Not Who I Am...Until It Is

I'm so tired of reading one person after another who does something awful and then apologizes and adds the statement, "That's not who I am!" Uh, that IS who you are. It may not be who you want to be, but your bad behavior is just that...yours! You own it. No one wants to admit making a mistake or doing something stupid. We all do bad things. However, to claim that your bad behavior isn't representative of who you are as a person is ridiculous. Sure, you may not go around punching people in the face on a daily basis, but if you did it even once, that behavior is a part of you. Hopefully, you'll learn from your mistakes and change any bad behavior you exhibit, but don't deny that the behavior exists within you, like some foreign entity overtook your body and made you do something wrong. I'm also tired of people making assumptions about people based on how they look. I'm not talking about someone stereotyping a person because of his/her race or hair color, I'm talking about people overlooking someone's flaws or bad behavior because the person is attractive. While reading some of the current news stories about Donny T.'s son-in-law, I constantly come across comments about his youthful looks and assumptions that he should be an upstanding person because he's deemed attractive. Since when did someone's looks influence that person's character? There are plenty of people who are lovely on the outside and ugly on the inside (and vice versa). I used to work with a guy who wasn't an awful guy, but he could be a pain in the ass sometimes. However, he was attractive and he used his attractiveness to his advantage in getting what he wanted from other people. Even though I'm sometimes slow on the uptake, I soon got up to speed with him and got wind of his game but not until after I also had been duped. You live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment