Tuesday, December 13, 2016

No Workout for You!

I was at the Y after work today and a young boy, probably about 10 years old or so, got on the exercise machine next to mine and his mother got on the machine next to his. During this mother/son workout session, the kid kept coughing. At first, the coughing wasn't bad, but as time passed, it became worse. The kid wasn't even covering his mouth every time he hacked either. Gross. Anyway, after one particularly long hacking session, I finally gave the kid and his mom a look and inadvertently ended up shaming them into ending their workout early. Soon after I gave them the both the eye, mother and son got off the machines, she gave him some water from her bottle, they put their coats on, and they left. I didn't mean to shame them into leaving. In fact, I was about to ask the kid if he was okay because his coughing was that bad, but he and his mom packed it in before I had the chance and that was probably for the best. That kid was too sick to be working out and his mom should have known that. Given the way he was hacking, he needed to be at home. What I found interesting was that the kid was a little overweight while the mom was very slim and trim and the writer in me wondered if she had forced him to go to the Y for a workout even though he, clearly, shouldn't have been working out today. I hope that kid is able to get some cough syrup and some rest tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment