Sunday, December 11, 2016

Year of the Cat

While I was reading through the threads on one of the many blogs I read each week, there was one that discussed great forgotten and/or obscure songs and one of the songs that came up frequently was Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat." Now if you read my blog with any regularity, you'll know that I'm a big fan of 1970s mush rock music so it's no surprise that I'm a huge fan of "Year of the Cat." I thought for sure I had a copy of this song somewhere in my arsenal of 1970s CDs but, alas, I do not. So I was forced to buy it through iTunes. What's so great about "Year of the Cat" isn't Al Stewart's singing, but the musical arrangement. The piano parts are great and so is the cello in the middle. This song has everything! Piano, cello, guitar, a sax solo. They just don't make songs like this anymore and it's a shame. Few artists now have a huge arrangement of musicians accompanying them. I read up on "Year of the Cat" over the weekend and found out that Alan Parsons produced the song. I didn't know that.

In other news, it's snowing here but I did venture out for a walk so I could see how beautiful everything looks before it all turns to slush.


No comments:

Post a Comment