Monday, June 10, 2013

The Tony Awards and Mad Men

I watched the Tony Awards last night (most of them--until Mad Men came on) and thought the show was great.  The opening song with Neil Patrick Harris and various Broadway show actors was just wonderful.  I was so happy to see a good number of black actors win Tonys this year including Detroiter Courtney B. Vance.  The Pippin crew was great (except for the dude playing Pippin, as stated in my previous review of the play) and Patina Miller's Tony was well-deserved.  Cyndi Lauper was awesome.  She looks so good!  I remember the 80s when she was a huge pop star and it's good to see her make a comeback with Kinky Boots.  The final performance with Audra McDonald and Neil doing their rendition of the Alicia Keys/Jay Z song "Empire State of Mind" was the icing on the cake, especially when Audra dropped her mic before she walked off stage.  Ha! 

In other TV news, Mad Men was crazy last night.  Don's back with Sylvia, his affair is discovered by Sally, Peggy has rats, and Pete's being hit on by Bob Benson.  Oy!  The Bob thing made me shake my head.  I can't figure out if this guy is on the level or not, but if he is gay and wants to start something with Pete, of all people, he should turn that dream loose.  Pete is pitiful!  Why would any man or woman want to get with that guy?  What did Peter's mother say about him?  He was a sour little boy and now he's a sour little man.  Ouch!  (I actually felt sorry for him at that point, but I still would advise anyone against getting involved with him.)  Run, Bob!  Run!

No comments:

Post a Comment